Africa's Premier Award for Our Youngest Entrepreneurs
The Anzisha Prize seeks to award young entrepreneurs who have developed and implemented innovative solutions to social challenges or started successful businesses within their communities. 15 finalists from across Africa win a spot in a lifelong fellowship what will help to accelerate their path to entrepreneurship success. The first step in this journey is that they win an all-expenses paid trip to South Africa to be a part of a ten day long entrepreneurship workshop and conference at the African Leadership Academy campus on the outskirts of Johannesburg. The grand prize winners, selected from these finalists, will share prizes worth $100,000 USD. The fellowship continues thereafter, offering them business consulting services to unlock growth potential in their venture, connecting them to a global network of leaders, providing access to global speaking opportunities, and supporting their professional development.
In addition to the $100 000 competition, the Anzisha Prize seeks to fundamentally and significantly increase the number of job generative entrepreneurs in Africa. We believe that a key to doing so is to test, implement and then share models for identifying, training and connecting high potential, very young entrepreneurs (15 to 22 year olds) so that many more organisations have better collective success in creating a pipeline entrepreneurs with the capabilities for scale.
Our Anzisha strategy has three pillars:
- Celebrate very young entrepreneurs and actively share their stories, to increase the likelihood that others will choose to emulate their success. (Watch our recent Gala Awards Highlights, an Anzisha Prize explainer video and read our latest magazine)
- Train and accelerate very young entrepreneurs, such that we develop and then share models of entrepreneur education and support more likely to succeed with teens and very young adults. (Read about our fellowship experience, and meet our fellows)
- Influence entrepreneurship education (secondary and tertiary levels) to not only increase the likelihood of more young entrepreneurs, but empathy and support for entrepreneurship as a choice by others. (Watch a video about our high-school Student Enterprise Program)
Why We Do It
It’s called the #AnzishaEffect, and it is the power of these amazing stories to encourage others to follow in the footsteps of the Anzisha Fellows. Africa needs strong, innovative entrepreneurial young leaders to create jobs, solve problems and drive our economies. Our continent's future will be determined by entrepreneurial leaders across all sectors. We believe fundamentally in the power of youth-led change.
The Anzisha Fellow Experience
Along with a shared amount of US$100 000, fellows will have access to a range of opportunities!
- Experts in Residence Program: The Experts in Residence Program brings an expert to campus to offer sector specific advice to fellows.
- Anzisha Accelerator Camp: All finalists come to African Leadership Academy’s campus for an all expenses paid fortnight of training, coaching and networking.
- Regional Indabas: Indabas are regional gatherings throughout Africa which allow Anzisha Fellows and ALA alumni to remain connected.
- The Youth Entrepreneur Support Unit: YES-U is a collaboration between leading business incubators on the continent for the purpose of offering customised business support for Fellows.
- Global Speaker Circuit: The Global Speaker Circuit enables Anzisha Fellows to serve as the voice of African youth at various speaking engagements and conferences.
- Anzisha Prize Night: The Anzisha Prize Night is a glamorous celebration of youth entrepreneurship at its best. It is an event structured and marked to enable the finalists to realise that they have arrived on the global entrepreneurship scene!
A Powerful, Growing Network
The Anzisha Prize network is growing each year, with more fellows, partners, mentors and friends. We believe this truly unique, pan-African network of highly ambitious, driven entrepreneurs from all sectors will become a powerful force driving economic and social prosperity across the continent.