GET TO KNOW THATO …
Meet Thato, founder of Repursose Schoolbags. She felt the need to do something about school kids in her community carrying books in plastic bags, and decided to repurpose the bags making them durable and environmentally friendly.
Light bulb moment:
- 21 years old
- Reduce waste management and provide accessible sources of study light to students.
- Designed school bags from up-cyled plastic bags, integrating solar technology that charges during the day and transforms into light for learners to study after dark.
- Runs a factory with employees trained to make the bags.
Where am I now:
- 8 full time employees and numerous plastic bag collectors, 4000 collected to date.
- Cooperate buy-in partnerships to enable distribution & mass production.