- Year Selected: 2014
- Age at selection: 19
- Venture: Ghana Bamboo Bikes Initiative
- Country: Ghana
- Sector: Manufacturing
GET TO KNOW WINNIFRED …
At 15 years old co-founded Ghana Bamboo Bikes Intiative in an effort to address unemployment and environment degradation through effective use of local resources.
Light bulb moment:
- 15 years old,
- Co-created project to hand make bikes from bamboo, a local resource and environmentally friendly.
- Primarily employees women who train each other.
Where are we now:
- Produce 60 to 100 bicycles a month.
- Employ 10 employees with an average family of 5.
- Increased productivity and efficiency experienced by customers.
- Increase production capacity.
- Cartier Womens’ Initiative Award.
- 2013 UNFCCC participant .